Nov 30 | Dana, Director of Public Relations
For decades, the only way to spread the news about our products and services was through advertising and public relations. But now our organizations have a tremendous opportunity to publish great content online—content that people want to consume and that they are eager to share with their friends, family, and colleagues.
Whatever you call it—viral, buzz, word-of-mouse, or word-of-blog marketing—having other people tell your story drives action. One person sends it to another, then that person sends it to yet another, and on and on.
The formula for success includes a combination of some great—and cost effective—Web content (a video, blog entry, or interactive tool) that provides valuable information (or is groundbreaking or amazing or hilarious or involves a celebrity), plus a network of people to light the fire and links that make your content very easy to share.
How to launch your own viral marketing campaign using videos and interactive tools:
Tips for Producing & Sharing Video
Ready to try out your production skills and post some hopefully buzz-generating content on YouTube? Here are some things to keep in mind:
• Your video should be no more than three minutes (preferably shorter)
• Go with homemade-quality video to help bring out your personality
• Make it easy for people to share your video with friends, colleagues and family
• Give the video a descriptive and unique title
• Create an accurate and interesting text blurb with keywords and language that people will use when searching for videos like yours
• Try a series of similar videos to build interest (Example: Will It Blend?)
• Develop a contest in which users submit their own video
Tips for Developing Interactive Tools
Widgets Rock! And if you can come up with one that will help people calculate something useful, or makes their lives a little better, or simply entertain them, then you’re on your way. Here are some guidelines that you can apply to your industry-related tools:
• Interactive tools must always be FREE
• Consider building an interactive tool around a specific holiday or promotion
• Allow people to share your widget with others
• Avoid excessive exposure of your company name, product or brand as this may be a turnoff to those viewers who try to avoid advertisements
Tips for Building an Audience
It takes time to build an audience. Here are some tips to speed up the process:
• Create links to your video or interactive tool from your home page, product pages, e-mail or online media room
• Send bloggers a link to the video or interactive tool
• Post comments on other people’s blogs, including a link to your video (make sure you’re on topic and genuinely contributing to the conversation in addition to linking to your video or interactive tool)
• Get your partners to post a link from their existing Web sites or e-newsletters.
• Make the link available on all your active social networking sites like Facebook or Twitter.
Bottom line, successful viral marketing campaigns, along with traditional advertising, can help sell your ideas in a creative way that people want to share with their friends, colleagues, and family members. If you’d like to receive more tips on launching a viral campaign that resonates, please contact us.